Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Rock & roll is dying...

because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world, So they became OK with the idea that the biggest rock band in the world is always going to be [trash] – therefore you should never try to be the biggest rock band in the world. F[orget] that! Rock & roll is the music I feel the most passionately about, and I don't like to see it f[rea]king ruined and spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous [trash]."
Patrick Carney; drummer, The Black Keys

a) "Some of Nickelback's songs are really good!" Are you kidding me?! Every song is virtually identical, they just change the tempo, and rearrange the lyrics! "Well, obviously, people listen to them for their lyrics." You're not understanding me. Almost every song is about the same thing: drugs, sex, drinking, and being a superstar. They just re-state how awesome they are because they get laid, get free booze, and are given free drugs simply because they're rock stars. Occasionally they toss in a song about world peace or something, just for some variety.


b) Beck uses widely various influences in his music, and very few of his songs ever sound the same, or are the same style, but I haven't heard a single song that sounds anything like The Offspring – especially not the song Loser.

c) There is not much rap-rock that I enjoy, and to be perfectly honest, Rage Against the Machine is no exception. But that's really a matter of preference, not a matter of quality of music. In fact, I think RAtM is made up of outstanding musicians, and I think Tom Morello is one of the most unbelievable guitarists I've ever heard, and I love the music. I just don't like the rap part of "Rage."
That being said, "Hollywood Undead is a lot like Rage Against the Machine" is an unacceptable statement. Stylistically, sure, they both perform rock music with rap vocals, but that's like saying that Nickelback and Led Zeppelin are alike, or that Green Day and the Ramones are alike, or that the Black Eyed Peas and the Wu-Tang Clan are alike, or that John Mayer and Eric Clapton are alike. They just aren't.

d) It's "Smashing Pumpkins," not "The Smashing Pumpkins." And "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" is not their only album.

e) Eddie Vedder rocks. Yeah, in the '90s, he sang using the some of the most ridiculous grunge vocals of any grunge singer, but his lyrics are outstanding, Pearl Jam's music is awesome, and his solo work is amazing (partially because he toned down the grunginess in his vocals). Even in PJ's latest album "Backspacer," the grunge factor was significantly reduced.

f) Please stop trying to convince me to like Foo Fighters, or Green Day. I recognize their music shares many similarities with the stuff I do enjoy, but they both just irritate me.

g) Stop calling yourself a fan if you do not own two or more of a given artist's albums (unless they only have one so far). This is not a statement of purchase vs. bootleg. I don't really care how it is acquired, but you're not a fan of an artist if you only listen to, or enjoy one album. You can say "I really like them," or maybe even "I love them," but if you only like/listen to/know one album, you can call yourself a fan of that album. But a fan of that artist, you are not.

h) Folk/bluegrass music and country music are not the same. There are many differences, but the biggest is content. The only people I've ever met who really think they're the same, are people who don't listen to either. You can't say to a bluegrass fan "Hey, you would really like Carrie Underwood, because you like bluegrass," and you can't say to a country fan "Hey, you would really like Old Crow Medicine Show, because you like country." It just doesn't work that way.

i) Electronica is a legitimate form of music. Simply because you've heard nothing but obnoxious, repetitive, dance-club techno, doesn't mean that's all there is. Really. Give it a chance.

j) "Indie" is not a genre. "Indie" is short for independent. "Indie" artists, are either self recorded and unsigned, or are signed to an independent record label. "Indie" can refer to any genre, whether it be rock, hip-hop, folk, blues, metal, or even country. "Indie" does not even refer to the popularity of an artist; an artist can be "indie" no matter the popularity, as long as they are unsigned, or signed to an independent label.

k) I know I tease people pretty severely about their musical taste, but mostly it's just teasing, and I recognize that people's taste is mostly a matter of preference, and I'm rarely serious when I say that a person's tastes destroy their musical credibility – yes, even my friends who like Owl City, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Tom Petty, or even country music, are still my friends, and good people in spite of their terrible taste (again: joking... sort of) – unless I'm referring to Nickelback, Katy Perry, or some other horrendous, shallow drivel.

*Deep breath*

Oh! One more thing: the vinyl format is not obsolete.

Musical rant ended (for now).

2 comments:

  1. I like this. I just can't tell, when you said, "I mentioned your favourite artist", whether you meant Katy Perry or Owl City.

    ReplyDelete